Daily Caloric Expenditure Calculator
This daily caloric expenditure calculator (also known as a "daily calories burned calculator") provides an estimate of the total amount of calories that you burn during an average day. The accuracy of this calculator is strongly influenced by the "Activity Level" that you select, so try to select an "Activity Level" that truly reflects how much physical activity you perform on a typical day.
Select your "Activity Level" based on the definitions provided below.
- Very little or no daily physical activity.
- Lightly Active
- Light physical activity 1 to 3 days per week.
- Moderately Active
- Moderate physical activity 3 to 5 days per week.
- Very Active
- Hard physical activity 6 to 7 days per week.
- Extremely Active
- Hard physical activity every day of the week.
This calculator provides an estimate of your total daily caloric expenditure by multiplying the Harris-Benedict equations for basal metabolic rate by an "Activity Level Factor" that accounts for your daily physical activity levels and the thermic effect of food. The equations used by this calculator are shown below.
- Male (metric): DCE = ALF x ((13.75 x WKG) + (5 x HC) - (6.76 x age) + 66)
- Male (imperial): DCE = ALF x ((6.25 x WP) + (12.7 x HI) - (6.76 x age) + 66)
- Female (metric): DCE = ALF x ((9.56 x WKG) + (1.85 x HC) - 4.68 x age) + 655)
- Female (imperial): DCE = ALF x ((4.35 x WP) + (4.7 x HI) - 4.68 x age) + 655)
ALF = Activity Level Factor
DCE = Daily Caloric Expenditure
HC = Height in Centimetres
HI = Height in Inches
WKG = Weight in Kilograms
WP = Weight in Pounds
and "Activity Level Factor" has the following values
"Sedentary": Activity Level Factor = 1.2
"Lightly Active": Activity Level Factor = 1.375
"Moderately Active": Activity Level Factor = 1.55
"Very Active": Activity Level Factor = 1.725
"Extremely Active": Activity Level Factor = 1.9
Harris JA and Benedict FG. A Biometric Study of Human Basal Metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1918 December; 4(12): 370–373.